What do Miley Cyrus, Rachel Weisz, Zooey Deschanel, Gwyneth Paltrow and Victoria Beckham all have in common?
It turns out: they are all on gluten-free diets! This diet can be a challenge to follow, but it has almost reached fad-like proportions as many people blame gluten for health problems ranging from depression and weight gain to fatigue and indigestion. In my experience, when people cut Gluten out of their diets, we see a drastic reduction in pesky symptoms and our clients express feeling A LOT lighter.
How Widespread Is The Gluten Intolerance Problem?
- A 2011 study published in BMC Medicine outlines that just 1 % of the U.S. population has celiac disease (which includes intestinal damage), but this could be “the tip of the iceberg” for “an emerging problem… of a group of gluten-reactive patients, accounting for roughly 10% of the general population.”
- Gluten problems are on-the-rise, according to Stefano Guandalini, MD, director of the University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center, who says the rate of celiac disease has been doubling every 20 years.
- It’s believed that as many as 20 million people could be living with celiac disease and not even know it.
Now keep in mind: Don’t confuse your blood test results (the one that tests for a Gluten allergy) with a possible Gluten intolerance. Although your test results may show no allergy, you may suffer from a low level Gluten sensitivity which may have far reaching effects on your health.
How Dangerous Is It?
- Depending on the severity of an individual’s condition, undiagnosed celiac disease or gluten sensitivity is linked with a 35-72 percent increased risk of death – mostly from heart disease and cancer, according to a Journal of the American Medical Association study of 30,000 people. We are looking at accumulated symptoms having gone untreated overtime here.
- A New England Journal of Medicine review traced 55 diseases back to gluten consumption and a reaction to it – ranging from osteoporosis, irritable bowel disorder and cancer to fatigue, arthritis, lupus and depression.
What Are The Symptoms Of Gluten Intolerance?
- GI Symptoms: Abdominal Pain, Acid Reflux, Constipation, Diarrhea, Gas, Greasy / Foul-Smelling / Floating Stools, Nausea, Vomiting, Weight Loss or Gain
- Other Symptoms: Fatigue, Weakness, Headaches, Depression, Inability to Concentrate, Infertility, Abnormal Menstruation, Seizures, Clumsiness, Nerve Damage, Respiratory Difficulties, Lactose Intolerance, Eczema, Acne, Easy Bruising, Muscle Cramping, Low Blood Sugar, Inflammation.
How Does Gluten Disturb The System?
Gluten is a naturally occuring protein found in grains like wheat, barley, rye and oats. However, people with sensitivities to gluten become unable to absorb nutrients, as the microvilli in the intestines shrink away from gluten. This can cause a host of health concerns from leaky gut syndrome, mineral deficiencies, anemia and weight loss to fatigue, abnormal stools and abdominal cramping etc. In fact, gluten sensitivity is actually considered an autoimmune disease that creates systemic and widespread inflammation and chronic illness. A major part of the problem today is that due to the Genetic Modification of Wheat (and the fact that it’s so prevalent in our food supply), levels of Gluten are higher than ever.
Could going Gluten-Free Heal Your Gut?
If you suffer from terrible digestive discomfort – gas, bloating, abdominal fat, or irregular bowel movements, think about what could be causing these uncomfortable symptoms. Think you may be gluten-sensitive? We conduct specialized testing to determine your particular sensitivities. Our thorough health analysis will also help you clearly determine if you’ve got an allergy or sensitivity to gluten. We help you begin to heal by making tailored recommendations for your meal planning and lifestyle adjustments. We don’t just treat the symptoms: we help you get to the core of your health challenges and learn how to treat them effectively and permanently!
If you would like a gut that is less reactive to stress and food, contact us for a free 15-minute discovery assessment to see if our Naturopathic and Homeopathic services are right for you!